Girard Township, Branch County, Michigan header
Girard Township, Branch County, Michigan header

 

 
Click here to return to the home page for Girard Township
Click here to view meeting times for Girard Township
Click here to view ordinances for Girard Township
Click here to view contact information and elected officials for Girard Township
Click here to view property tax information for parcels in Girard Township
Click here to view ordinances for Girard Township
Click here to view ordinances for Girard Township
Minutes
 

 

A Zoned Community

By an act of the Legislative Council of the Territory of Michigan, approved March 7, 1834, Girard Township was formed from Coldwater and Prairie River Townships. Girard Township was the fourth Township organized within the County. The inhabitants in a petition to the Legislature, praying for the formation of a new township, sent forth the name of "Fairfield" as the name which suited them best; Lenawee County, however, anticipated the Girard constituency in the particular, and their representative then suggested the name of "Girard" which was derived from the name of the Philadelphia millionaire Stephen Girard.

The first meetings were held in homes and Mr. James B. Tompkins was elected the first supervisor on April 7, 1834.

The Girard Township Hall was built in 1893 at a cost of $675.  The contractor was Herbert Roe.  The Township Hall is still in use today and the Township Board meets the first Monday of each month.

This Township is located on the North border of Branch County and joined on the north by Calhoun County and on the east, south, and west by the Townships of Butler, Coldwater, and Union respectively.